Forum home Garden design

Flowerbed placement

PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
So I've ordered some bulbs to start a flowerbed in the back garden. It's south facing and an absolute sun-trap. Question is, which is the best side for this? I was originally thinking along the fence that has sun in the morning (grass seems to grow well on that side). But would they do better in afternoon and evening sun? There are some bushes there (previous owners) so that will make it harder to clear out, but they'll probably get moved anyway. 

I have ordered irises, alliums, crocus, grape hyacinth and Sicilian garlic. I'm also going to add in lavender I have in pots, along with hebes and some other things, and some climbers up the fence. 

There's going to be flowerbeds down both fences anyway, so I don't mind which side I start on. This is just step one of a multi-step plan. 

Thanks in advance. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    You can hardly go wrong with spring bulbs; like all plants, they need some light but they aren't picky about what time of day they get it.  Lavender will probably grow in most parts of a south-facing plot, as long as it's not somewhere like under a tree.  The more sun it gets, the better.
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Cheers @josusa47. I'll just carry on with my plan.