Forum home The potting shed

Expired opened handwash gel

B3B3 Posts: 18,185
Does it work or should I bin it?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,087
    How old is it ?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,698
    Who knows?   Thorough washing with soap and water is just as effective anyway and all you need at home.  The hand gel is for when you can't rinse and dry and shops are providing it anyway.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,185
    Jan 20 and there's some even older! @AnniD
    You're right @Obelixx but i like to keep some in the car or in my bag if I go shopping. I
    Im now thinking ineffective gel is probably worse than nothing.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I take a pair of disposal rubber gloves with me but haven't needed them yet.   trolleys are disinfected between users here and there's hand gel at every shop I've visited - SM, DIY, GC.  Don't need others at the mo so can't say. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,955
    Try it out. If your hands cool as the alcohol evaporates then it is probably OK. You can also add some surgical spirit to it to make sure the alcohol level is above 60%.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,912
    I don't know what the active ingredient is in hand gel, apart from alcohol, which should be between 60% and 95% for full effectiveness.  My guess is that the alcohol may evaporate from an opened bottle - but only if you leave the top off, surely?
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 830
    The shortage is pretty much over now, there's been handgel in stock in my local co-op for weeks and its not especially expensive, so although the one that only expired in January is very probably still fine, I'd just get a new bottle to on the safe side.  

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,008
    Its gone up from around 60p to £2 or £3 in our local shops.  If you have thoroughly washed your hands with soap and water, I would still use it as a back up.  Our little local shop has sanitation stuff outside, Aldi clean the trolley for you as you go in, (then its a joke, the distancing, same with Sainsbury Tesco, I recommendations aid min 70% alcohol, but I have both anti bac wipes and gel with no alcohol.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 830
    The point of it is to have it available for when it isn't possible to wash with soap and water.  You don't need to do both. 
    Anti bacterial wipes don't work on viruses and are really not biodegradable.