Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I plant tulips seeds in the spring / summer

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,716
    They look like mouse poo to me!  :o
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I only ever buy seeds from certain companies on eBay,   99p, most times post free, sometimes a free packet if you order five or more. 
    Never had a problem with germination.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    I’ve grown those blue tulips from seed and could have posted a photo to prove it ... except the unicorns ate the flowers.
    Rutland, England
  • I would report to Amazon the seller @alexemmersonuk they are useless in banning seller most of the time but they're taking advantage of people and selling fake seeds. When you multiply £2.99 per hundreds of orders it all adds up. eBay is terrible too and they rarely act when I've reported them. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • PyraPyra Posts: 152
    @alexemmersonuk if you fancy tulips you could grow them from bulbs. They're not expensive and repeat flower for years.
  • JessumJessum Posts: 81
    I think that they look like "love in a mist" (nigella seeds).  If they are they will grow quickly and will be identified by feathery foliage.
    It would be safer to buy seeds from a supermarket, garden centre or Wilko in future!
  • @amancalledgeorge
    Yes I am definitely going to do this. Thanks!
    Growing a pink garden, one plant at a time....
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,566
    If it's any consolation, tulips would take years to get to flowering size from seed anyway. Buy yourself some bulbs to plant in the autumn instead.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • @pyra88
    Yes I really do fancy tulips! I'm going to have to look at Suttons or someone as reliable and see what actual colour choices I have. I am really not a fan of yellows / reds / oranges.... Pinks will do though, so I'll have a look! Thanks! 
    Growing a pink garden, one plant at a time....
  • PyraPyra Posts: 152
    GW have a list of relaters still open online. 
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/coronavirus-online-plant-retailers/ 
    Also Farmer Gracy, there's a discount code on the GW website somewhere for them. 

If you order now, most places will deliver later in the year, right about when you've to plant them. 

Also, if you sign up to newsletters from lots of nurseries and suppliers, they sometimes send you discount codes to entice you to buy something the first time. Not always, though.