Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I plant tulips seeds in the spring / summer

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    To be honest I have no clue, if l had to guess l'd say poppy.
    I think the general thinking is to just throw them away and put it down to experience. 
  • @Lyn

I guess I'll give them a go! What have I got to lose??? Haha! 
    Growing a pink garden, one plant at a time....
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Poppy seeds are round.
    give them a try, as long as you don’t let them lose in the uk😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066
    Just for future reference, never, ever order seeds or plants from unregulated websites and suppliers.   You may inadvertently import some deadly disease, parasite, bugs that will decimate plantlife.    

Always buy from recognised seed suppliers and nurseries who follow strict phyto santiray guidelines about plant health and sources and observe quarantine where needed.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • @Obelixx that's a good point! Never occurred to me. I think I might just chuck them out. Can I put them in the normal rubbish bin do you think in the plastic bag they're in? I am just not going to risk it....
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
     Perhaps you should dump them then.  Obe is right, Being an adventurous type where seeds are concerned, I’d need to know, but not planting them out in the garden. 
    I wouldn't  consider buying any seeds from China though. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Yes @Lyn
    I think I will dump them. 
    It wasn't obvious from the Ammazon listing they were from China, but I guess I'll put it down to experience. Like I say, as a beginner, it never even occurred to me, but I know now. 

Just for future reference, how do I know if a seed supplier is regulated? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066
    They're in UK or Europe and have their own websites.   They are regulated by UK/EU rules.   Outside of this area seed companies have to go thru all sorts of hoops to get sanitary certificates for imports and exports. 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    You're better off sticking to UK firms like Suttons, etc. Chiltern seeds for more unusual ones.
    Never mind, we've all made mistakes  :)
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617
    Plantworld have some interesting seeds, also Chiltern, or Crug if you want unusual plants.  However there is no such thing as blue tulips or strawberries, or the rainbow roses they photoshop. Sorry.