Forum home Problem solving

nectaroscordum-siculum

For the past couple of years, this plant throws up between 5-8 flower heads. However these never open & sadly die. Please can you help me solve this problem. I know they enjoy lots of water & considering the amount of rain we’ve had from Sept-Feb I can understand what’s happening. I’m in East Sussex & on clay, they are in sunny/shade position. TIA

•  For the past couple of years, this plant throws up between 5-8 flower heads. However these never open & sadly die. Please can you help me solve this problem. I know they enjoy lots of water & considering the amount of rain we’ve had from Sept-Feb I can understand what’s happening. I’m in East Sussex & on clay, they are in sunny/shade position. TIA
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,155
    What you have there is the seed head, so they did open. The flowers are not a bright colour, what were you expecting?  They have little bells that hang down, and the bees love them, then they turn up into the little castle like formation you have there.  There are bulbs at the bottom. I would dig them up in a month or so and replant them in a full sun position in September or October. Plant each bulb 6 inch deep and four inches apart.  If you are on clay I would incorporate some organic matter such as compost .
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • thank you thank you for taking the trouble to reply, but I’m sorry to say, I have to disagree with you, as the flowers have not opened. The same thing happened last year. I’m a retiree so spend time in my garden daily, & these have not flowered. They are about 4-5 years old & have flowered before, so I know how beautiful they are. Thank you again for your replanting tips. I’m sure there is a reason they are behaving like this....🤔