Forum home Garden design

Small garden native tree recommendations

Due to Ash Die-Back. We had to get all our trees removed in the garden. Absolutely gutted by this as they were lovely big trees and attracted a huge amount of birds. I suppose the numerous feeders helped as well 😁 thought I’d start planning and wonder if anyone could recommend native trees that would be good for wild life, eventually give a bit of privacy. Was thinking of rowan, birch perhaps. But I open to suggestions. The garden is in the Scottish Borders, small but gets a lot of sunshine. Many thanks. probably should ask ive a toddler as well 

• nick615nick615 Posts: 584
    Maybe elder and alder?  Either can be pruned back if they get too big.  Elder flowers for 'champagne' and cordial, berries for birds and pies.  Alder has a fly of its own, I believe, which would attract birds.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 653
    Hawthorn!  Stays compact, gorgeous blossoms and birds love it. 
  • I bought a hawthorn last year and got a cultivar (crataegus persimilis prunifolia) which grows to around 5m. The blossom was beautiful this spring and the bees loved it. Once the haws ripened at the tail end of last year, watching the blackbirds pick them off and throw them on the ground was a great source of amusement (I'm easily pleased 😂) 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    So sorry to hear about your ash trees. We live in dread of the day when it happens to us.  Our house and all of the houses in the district are surrounded by them.

Field maple?

We grow one as a very large shrub by occasionally lopping tall bits off it.

See here for more info

https://shop.woodlandtrust.org.uk/field-maple

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ne1lNe1l Posts: 28
    Many thanks for your replies folks. Much appreciated.
  • Ne1lNe1l Posts: 28
    How close to the stump can you plant the tree?
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 653
    I'd get the stump up before planting a new tree.
  • Rowan. Every day of the week also been planted for health wealth and prosperity near to the home since Celtic times. They have deep roots can withstand a lot too.