Forum home Garden design

Raised Pond - help!

Hi All,

I really want to build/create a raised pond (don’t have children, but will have young children at the house), so want to make it a bit safer by having it raised. Ideally I would build it out of decking board/wood around a frame. But I have just seen a very large round pond/tub/thing which would be great to build around - but I have no idea what they are called! I wouldn’t mind a square one either. Any idea on what I need to search for?

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,303
    I am afraid that I cannot answer your question about the pond/tub thing but I do know about children and raising the pond would not keep them safe. Indeed, it would present a challenge and a temptation! The only way to make a pond safe is to fence it off until the children are old enough to get out if they fall in.
  • Posy said:
    I am afraid that I cannot answer your question about the pond/tub thing but I do know about children and raising the pond would not keep them safe. Indeed, it would present a challenge and a temptation! The only way to make a pond safe is to fence it off until the children are old enough to get out if they fall in.
    It’s safer than having a pond they can walk into - plus, they would never be unsupervised in the garden, plus, they don’t come round often! I know the risks are still there. They are just a bit lower. 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 516
    Have you had a search for “patio” ponds? As we are on a terrace we could only get an above ground one and bought a really nice square one with a wooden surround, birds love it too!
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,077
    I have a pond made from half a barrel with a plastic pot inside it, impossible for a child to fall into. Would that be an option? 
  • Are you talking about a preformed pond? no expert but think they are generally designed for below ground ponds as the require support all around. Suppose you could build up your retaining wall and then back fill the space between pond and wall with soil / hardcore, to support the pond, just like its sat underground. 

Lots of the raised ponds I've seen still use a flexible rubber liner.

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 516
    That’s nice debs64 is that a solar fountain? If so does it work well, I was thinking of changing mine for a solar one.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,303
    I am very opposed to horror stories but on this occasion I will recount one that frightened me when my son was a toddler. A mother mopped her floor. She was very tired and sat down for a moment.  She nodded off. When she woke, she found her child stuck, head down in the mop bucket. It had not the strength and balance to stand up from that position.  It was dead. Water and children do not mix. You cannot be on guard 100% of the time.
    @Jacquimcmahon yes it works very well, it’s one of those sold for a bird bath and on a sunny day it’s lovely. There are 3 little fishes in the pond and it’s just nice to have water in the garden. 
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    Have a look at Blagdon Infinity (or maybe affinity?) ponds. Preformed, above ground ponds with all the filters and stuff included. I've got a small one on one of the patios, it's great as a central feature with a few fish in...