Forum home Plants

Suggestions for a rose that would fit this location 🌹

dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 1,017
Hello All,

The site is rather a deep border, under my east facing bay window that gets sun until about 1pm.
There is a honeysuckle behind the spot, yellow/cream flowers, a climbing Generous Gardener not far away and a bush Munstead Wood to the other side, plus a Pascal hebe next to the spot. Also, a verbena Bonariensis.
None of the DA shrub roses I’ve looked at online seem to be taller than 5ft, but I’ve seen some Peter Beale ones that are much taller, like Goldbusch.
I’m looking for something about 8-10 ft, vigorous, scented a must. Not sure about colours, maybe pale yellow? Maybe apricot? 
Thanks for your suggestions!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,382
    Have a look at 'Penelope'. Mine's doing extremely well on an east facing wall/fence and is a creamy apricot. It's a scented floribunda bush, I keep it to about 5ft so I can reach it but it does want to get higher and it's a good 4-5ft wide trained on the trellis sideways.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 1,017
    Sounds lovely - off to have a look!
    That’s a lovely one indeed. Can I ask, what’s it disease resistance to black spot like and how easily does it drop its petals? Thanks again 😊
    Also wondering if Penelope is best trained slightly against a wall/trellis, like you have done @Lizzie27 as it has such arching branches...
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,382
    @dappledshade,
    Penelope does get some black spot, but hasn't yet this year. It is up against a wall so the air flow isn't great and most of my roses suffer from it eventually - we're in the South West, so wet and warm!
    It does however hang onto it's petals, despite the heavy rain and if you don't deadhead it, has the most beautiful apricot coloured hips in the winter.    
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    Thanks Lizzie, sounds like just what I’m looking for!
    does it carry on repeat flowering if I leave spent flowers to die back for hips? Never had roses with hips before!
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    8-10ft and vigorous is more a climber than a shrub, so you would have more luck searching under that.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
    Goldbusch is. 8-10ft shrub rose with arching stems. I guess that’s the look I’m hoping for!