NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
Just bought the following on advice of my GC
Eleocharis Acicularis
Juncus Effusus
Lithodora
Caltha Palustris
Equsetum Hyemace

I basically understood what he said 

He suggested I wrap any bricks I place in the pond.

? Is this to stop them puncturing the liner.

? What do I use.

Any extra advice appreciated friends

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 601
    Pumpkinbeth.com has a number of blogs on the creation of her wildlife pond, planted last year. Hope this helps.
  • I'm hoping that now we are no longer in the EU elodea crispa and eichhornia crassipes will be taken off the banned list.

Both were banned a few years ago because they are invasive in Spain. 

In the UK its almost impossible to keep eichhornia crassipes alive over winter, so I fail to see a reason for it to remain banned. 

Elodea crispa doesn't die in the UK winter but its growth slows down to almost nothing in the UK winter. 

Anyone troubled by elodea crispa should just show it to some Koi and it will magically vanish in a few weeks. 

Obiously politicians have more pressing issues to contend with at the moment but when things return to normal I will be giving them a nudge about the above plants. Both of which are excellent in ponds. 

I have yet to find suitable alternatives for either. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
    themanfromvolantis 

My original question was on bricks.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I would guess the advice on wrapping bricks was to prevent liner damage. Hessian or sacking of some sort? Though it will eventually rot away.

I've always found bricks really hard to move around in a pond. Much easier to use any form of plastic tray, upturned plant pots etc, much easier to work with if plants need lowering as they establish.

• polbpolb Posts: 198
    I've just had my pond re-lined and I used the remaining liner to wrap around bricks. I then tied with string which I guess might eventually rot. This has made fairly heavy bolders with edges that wont tear the pond liner. I have used this as supports for pots and to stop some moving about as my pond has different levels and slopes in areas. I made about 7 and so far they have been very useful. Easy to move about as well.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
    Thanks all.

I have obtained three bread trays and there is one already upside down in the pond and it is working well.

I shaved off any potential sharp edges and placed them on some pebbles at the bottom of the pond.

Got more plants coming at the end of July so all good.