Forum home The potting shed

My First Veg Plot - 'A Reluctant Gardener'

My name is Iain Philpott and I’m a photographer/filmmaker. I have never previously warmed to gardening, my leisure time spent sailing and canoeing since I was a small child. My parents were keen outdoors people but never gardeners. Under lockdown I needed to find an interest to occupy my weekends. At the beginning of lockdown the weather was really beautiful and as family (kids home from uni) we spent quite a bit of time collecting our thoughts about these strange times in the garden. And that got me thinking. I love food, I love cooking so why not try growing some. I also had recollections of stories my father told me about the food rationing and queues during WW2 and the Dig For Victory campaign. I did some research and felt the Dig for Victory campaign was as relevant today as it was back then.

My project of ‘A Reluctant Gardener’ was born.

It is very much a 'visual diary' of stills & video documenting my journey. It has given great joy in these difficult times and am just sharing here. Please do take a look here! https://www.iainphilpott.co.uk/Blog/Corona-Lockdown-A-Reluctant-Gardener-Project

• nick615nick615 Posts: 537
    My steam driven browser wasn't man enough for your link but not to worry.  One day you'll be an EX-film maker etc., at which point you'll find lots of time for gardening.  For your next birthday or Christmas present, ask the family for a general gardening book such as Readers Digest's 'Food From Your Garden' (no longer in print but available on Amazon etc.).  It'll provide all you need to know to get started, even to the extent of preserving what you've grown, and will stand you in good stead through to your dotage.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    You’re not the only person with camera skills who has had to find other subject matter to concentrate on. 😊

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/16/my-lockdown-spring-watch-a-photo-essay

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    Thanks for sharing. Thank goodness we have moved on from the dig for victory methods though. I have a lot of the old info that was published in various books. Tons of what would now be considered hazardous chemical pesticides as 'preventative' treatments, one could be left thinking the biggest enemy Britain faced in the second world war was bugs.

Did feel the spirit of it though this year, it really felt like the veg plot had new meaning and purpose. One of my best years ever, really interesting to see you documented your first attempt.

It will though get addictive and eventually totally absorbing, until you end up wanting to spend the rest of you entire life doing nothing but tending veg, just a friendly warning.  :D
  • pansyface said:
    You’re not the only person with camera skills who has had to find other subject matter to concentrate on. 😊

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/16/my-lockdown-spring-watch-a-photo-essay

Thank you for sharing that. That is sooooo beautiful! It's amazing just how much, being a non gardener, I've learnt already, to appreciate what goes on in my garden and how much enjoyment it gives me and my family. I work in a very fast paced industry and this lockdown has given me the opportunity to take stock of my life and what is important.
  • GemmaJF said:
    Thanks for sharing. Thank goodness we have moved on from the dig for victory methods though. I have a lot of the old info that was published in various books. Tons of what would now be considered hazardous chemical pesticides as 'preventative' treatments, one could be left thinking the biggest enemy Britain faced in the second world war was bugs.

Did feel the spirit of it though this year, it really felt like the veg plot had new meaning and purpose. One of my best years ever, really interesting to see you documented your first attempt.

It will though get addictive and eventually totally absorbing, until you end up wanting to spend the rest of you entire life doing nothing but tending veg, just a friendly warning.  :D
    Thank you for sharing. I'm pleased to say I've not used any pesticides. My baked crushed eggshells have been pretty effective against the slugs and snails. My broccoli is not doing so well and I'm not sure why.

I'm loving the documenting. It's very different to what I would normally shoot so the crossover artistically is challenging but really rewarding.

You are absolutely right. It is addictive. The first thing I do in the morning is go out and check my plants! I'm really enjoying the whole experience and am aiming to film some fab veg recipes when I start to harvest!
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 701
    @ia!nphilpott   Willkommen  Bien venue Welcome!  Yes, gardening is therapeutic, additive and just thoroughly enjoyable.  Especially if the weather is clement!  Good on you for trying - you will get the bug as @GemmaJF JF has already said.  And this is the best virus to have!!!  
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• @ia!nphilpott   Willkommen  Bien venue Welcome!  Yes, gardening is therapeutic, additive and just thoroughly enjoyable.  Especially if the weather is clement!  Good on you for trying - you will get the bug as @GemmaJF JF has already said.  And this is the best virus to have!!!  
    And thank you and all for being so welcoming! We have a supposed heatwave coming here in the UK from the middle of next week so I will resume filming after some pretty wet weather here!

And you are absolutely right, I've caught the gardening virus! I couldn't be happier!