Forum home Fruit & veg

Carrots are keeping me in suspense

Can anyone tell me if the carrots I'd sown in April should be showing signs of actual carrots, because all I seem to have is fluffy stems, it may be just me being impatient, but it did say on the packet sow April for a July harvest? I don't have enough outdoor space so I'm growing in a plastic zip up greenhouse. Thanks

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,259
    You can usually tell they're beginning to develop the root when you see pale orange  'shoulders' appearing at soil level. Try pulling just one up to check. They do like a deep container though to develop fully.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Those are nicely spaced but have a lot more growing to do before the roots will swell to a useable size.  The guides on seed packets should be read with the phrase 'in ideal conditions.'  As yours have limited light in the GH, they will take a fair bit longer to mature.  They will grow faster if you can put the container outside in position where they will get full sunshine for as large a part of the day as you can manage.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • That's great advice, thanks. I do bring them outside but probably not every day, but will from now on. Thanks again