Forum home Plants

Help with newly purchased Clematis

Wild_VioletWild_Violet Posts: 212
Hi, can anyone advise me what to do to save this lovely (well it was...) Clematis Tranquilite that I recently bought and planted in a pot? It is west facing and in a sheltered spot.

It went from a flowering beauty to looking almost dead within a week. I only put in the pink alyssum at the base a day or two ago thinking the roots were being too exposed to the sun.  I’m tempted to return it to the retailer if nothing can be done.  Thanks for any advice.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,761
    Morning @Wild_Violet This is one of the Clematis that is better grown in a shaded area and a west facing spot might just be too much for it.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    It's possible that the plant was damaged when you repotted, the stems are very fragile.
    If it was mine I would cut down the top growth to a healthy looking point which I think I can see at the bottom of your plant, give it a light feed, half recommended dose, and move as suggested and water almost daily or even twice daily in hot weather.

• Wild_VioletWild_Violet Posts: 212
    Thanks @Ladybird4 and @K67 for advice.
    It’s typical that I’ve chosen the wrong type for my new sunny corner.  The plant has further deteriorated overnight so I think I’m going to cut my losses and return it to the shop (a well known posh supermarket) and ask for a refund of £16.99. It was supposed to be low maintenance and I’m certain I didn’t damage it and didn’t forget to water it.  I’ll maybe try something different.
    Thanks again, WV 🥀
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    @Wild_Violet Have a google for 'patio clematis uk' and you'll see quite a few which are suitable for growing in pots in sunny positions. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thanks @BobTheGardener Will do.

I’ve attached a couple more photos showing the overnight deterioration (lower leaves and flowers now looking crispy) along with the info card that was attached to the plant.  Pot size is the only thing I can see I’ve done wrong but I can’t imagine this would have had such a drastic impact in the space of a week as  the original container it was sold in was much smaller.  Ah well! 🥀

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Maybe taking it back  is best. This is mine which gets some midday sun. It's a lovely flower 

@K67 It really is lovely. Worth trying again sometime. 

I checked with the shop and they said to bring my ailing clematis back for a refund. It seems others in the same batch aren’t doing too well either. Thanks, 🌱