Forum home The potting shed

Hello again everyone!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,538
    I'm glad the forum is up and running again - really missed all the 'chat'! but I was a bit taken aback about how much time I'd been wasting each day. Still didn't get much done though. Went up to our GC today but didn't enjoy the experience much. Much dancing around other people, although there weren't that many and only bought some water butt cleaner. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,780
    😕 thats sad  after you made the effort to go there.. Maybe next time you'll see something to cheer you up 😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,853
    Delighted to be back, catching up on what everyone has been up to...... surprised how much I enjoy the regular checks to see what's going on in everyone's gardens
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,865
    “You never miss the water ‘til the water runs dry”- same with the forum.( spellcheck just changed that last word to ..clouds!). Missed reading everyone’s posts, it is relaxing at the end of today for me. Did get quite a lot of gardening done before and after the rains came. That saved us a lot of time🤗 Good to see you all! 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,888
    I read somewhere that you can cope with isolation if you have a garden and books.  Actually even with a large garden and more gardening books than the local library, my world seemed to shrink without the forum. I got a message that Chicky had posted a pic of a rose I sent her , and I couldn't access it. Really frustrating, and for the first time in weeks I felt claustrophobic.  I attacked an overgrown philadelphus, shredded it , reclaimed a path and four feet of garden,found a voles stash of cherry kernels,  added half a compost heap to the newly exposed soil,   and  planted Nicotiana sylvestris and foxgloves. Then we had a couple of inches of rain to water it in.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,780
    edited June 2020
    I must admit, I did feel more isolated without the forum and also less tolerant of bad ' doers '. Several plants have bitten the dust. No regrets. Planting opportunities.  An interesting study for the psychologically minded😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,006
    God how I have missed this forum, must have been a ginormous IT problem, so three cheers to the tech team for sorting it out 🍻.

Dearest OH has been away. We needed a break from lockdown togetherness intensity - no rules were broken or children or animals harmed. I was looking forward to spending yet more hours idling away on here without feeling guilty (thwarted) and getting stuck in to chopping and slashing with abandon without the ‘why are you destroying that bush’ horror (thwarted by ceaseless heavy rain). Finally had a dry morning yesterday so took out my frustrations on an overgrown olive tree. Now looks like a skelped whomping willow with a severe electric shock.

OH back later today. I’m hoping it’s raining again so she dashes past the OT without noticing it’s new and interesting form 😆 
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 424
    I am so happy the forum is back. I have checked each day to see if it was back and to my delight this morning it was.

I hope everyone is well and I am looking forward to having a catch up.

Unfortunately not much gardening done as we have had bad weather followed by lots of Sea Fret 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,888
    I am having trouble getting in. This came from an email to me. Most normal ways to access the forum are coming up as page not found or trouble loading that page.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,285
    B3 said:
    I'm using the local gc. It's a different experience at the moment. You see what they've got and if it will work in your garden. The plants are a little more expensive  the quality is excellent. I doubt I'll be travelling to  the biggy for quite some time.  Mostly plants and definitely no smelly candles or the like. I'm pretty sure that people's shopping habits have changed. Mine certainly have.
    I'm not all that excited about the GC being open again. Was a regular thing for me to go and spend at least £150 a week in there. Since lockdown found I was gardening more, with no need to spend the money.

Also found a pet supply place that kept open with much cheaper MPC than the GC, it has been great for starting veg seeds.

Though I planned a GC splurge for when they reopened, not been and picked up a lot of stuff on my list cheaper elsewhere. Big change for me, miss the browsing and atmosphere, but always came back with a ton of stuff I really didn't need, which distracted me from basic gardening tasks and took up my time.

Perhaps I should plan a 'no spend' trip just to enjoy the visit!