Forum home Garden design

Garden Makeovers: Before and After

DrewMcGDrewMcG Renfrewshire, ScotlandPosts: 21
Hey folks, 

When we bought our house last year, we inherited a garden that can only be described as unloved. 

Since then, I've...

- Tidied the place up and powerwashed
- Installed a new patio at the rear
- Built a shed, painted the fence, patio and paving
- Treated and raked out the moss from the grass
- Created a new bed, planting Cypressus Goldcrest and summer perennials 
- Installed planters and introduced shrubs
- Bought some solar lights to brighten the garden up at night 
- And, finally, built a swing seat.

I'd be interested to see your makeovers and what you've done in your gardens. I'm rather new to this and keen to get ideas from others with more experience!

Best, 

Drew

• DrewMcGDrewMcG Renfrewshire, ScotlandPosts: 21
    What a difference, @Pauline 7! The well-cared-for grass, bushes and flowers beat the drab concrete hands down. 

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,921
    It isn't actually concrete, just compacted earth. Looks like concrete doesn't it. Hard work, but well worth it.
    I will post the back garden when I get on the computer rather than this tablet,  probably at the weekend.
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 779
    Hello all - back in the land of gardening again!  Here is a few pictures of one part of my garden before and after.

Before.Coming along
    A month later from another angle

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

It's become a sort of cottage garden as I have dumped left over vegetable plants like potatoes, onions, celery, parsley and peppers in there along with the flowers.  Such fun!!

Yours looks fantastic @Pauline 7 - how long did it take you to get to that stage.  I started 2 years ago with three shrubs - a pittisporum, a bottle-brush and a viburnum then made the reed woven fence and planted a clematis there which seems to be very happy and then just planted bits and pieces. 
    @DrewMcG yours is such a difference than the first picture.  A bit of colour now is needed.  Maybe some bulbs for next spring!! 

• koyukanokoyukano Posts: 72
    Hey, looks like a big improvement drew McG! We moved into our new home in February of this year and our back garden looked like this:
    I used to have an allotment for 1 year but couldn't get down often enough with 2 young kids and my Mrs working shifts as a nurse. I wanted enough space for the kids to play and for me to grow some vegetables.

Garden is starting to come along a bit now and I've done some planters with benches to rest on, some surrounds for an apple tree, planted 3 apple trees, put a shed up, built a little small space where we can let our dog out if she is desperate near to the back door (not nicest to look at but it keeps the rest of the garden clean and free of any dog mess) and built a sand pit with a waterproof lid out of an tarpaulin and an old pallet.

Here's some pictures of what it looks like now. 

Tui, I moved into the house in feb 2013. The afters photos were taken in 2018. I will have to take some more.

Back garden when I moved in 2013

and last year 2019

Still more to do, but what with working full time and having had 12 months of illness it is slow going.