black-bee-

l saw a black bee in my garden the other day on the rubeckia it was truly black never seen a black bee before anyone know the name of it ?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,499

There are quite a few solitary and bumble bees which can be all black.  Amongst them are:

Solitary: Anthophora plumipes (Hairy footed flower bee)

Bumble: Bombus Campestris (Field cuckoo bee - uncommon all-black form, probably male), Bombus Hortorum (rare all black form), B.Ruderatus (uncommon black form, likely a worker or queen)

Honey: Black honey bee (extremely rare - usually found only in Cornwall)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • HaisieHaisie Posts: 108

Can I ask someone about a type of bee, please? I have lots of very small bee-like insects which love my dahlias. Are they true bees or something else?

Wow! Thanks, they are - I have lots of them.

Hoverflies are the a gardeners friend.  Many of them and their lavae eat aphids, one of our arch-enemies!image

Thanks, BTG, I've read up on them now - daft that I didn't know what they were. They are so lovely mixed in with the other insects loving my white dahlia - they leave the pink one totally alone. First time for growing dahlias and the insects love them.

• thank you Bob the gardener for infomation about the bee ,l have since found out that it is a rare one as there was a item on the local news some days after spotting it ,and is extreamly rare .