Forum home Plants

Rosa Fidget 🌹

chickychicky Posts: 10,402
@fidgetbones thought you would be pleased to see that Rosa Fidget has produced its first spray of flowers for me.  It is currently romping away up a holly tree.  Very pretty blooms 😍.  

• chickychicky Posts: 10,402
    Posted this just before the Forum went AWOL .....so if you missed it @fidgetbones , here’s an update .....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,578
    Beautiful. I saved its sister from being chopped down again. The moron thought it was a dog rose.  I took a dozen cuttings off in March. 11 seem to be ok, so I may have some more to spread around in Autumn.

Rosa fidget will soon become a staple for gardens nationwide 🤣🤣🤣
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,009
    It's lovely.  Well done for saving it.   I take its real identity is not known.

I have brought an offspring of Kiftsgate from my Belgian garden and it's doing very well now.   Lovely arching stems so far - its parent was much stiffer - and simple, perfumed, white flowers.     
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,867
    While we’re talking roses I thought you might like to see this one @fidgetbones ... it’s grown a bit since you wrapped it and put it in the post ...  

🙏 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

That Rosa glauca looks happy there. 
    The one that chicky has came from a packet of seeds from the RHS marked as Rosa filipes.  Three seedlings were raised and planted  in the old orchard next door. When they flowered two were obviously type, but the third flowered a bit later, had pink buds and larger flowers. Presumably a bee had been round a pink flower.  From that one I took hardwood cuttings which resulted in the parent of the one that was sent to chicky.  The original was destroyed last year. The first cuttings that came off it are up a hawthorn tree next to me,higher than the house,  but I think its days are numbered. It is glorious at the moment.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,867
    Glorious ... but huuuuuuge 😍

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

edited June 2020
    Rosa filipes is claimed to be the largest rose in England, running up a beech at Kiftsgate.   I think my seedling and its cuttings are  an improvement. Very big still but nicer flowers. Stands up well to the thunderstorm we had this afternoon. Seems to be completely disease free and never been fertilised except for the compost heaps that were over the roots. It's a bit like my nephews babies. He is 6 ft 10. His babies were never going to be short.
    Looking forward to mine getting that glorious 👍🏻  Its got a lot of holly tree to climb 🤣.  I’ve got a paul’s himalayan musk scrambling up another nearer to the house.  Took about 5 years to get into its stride, but so worth the wait.  I am delighted to have flowers from Rosa Fidget this early .....I think its only been in 3 years.

Have been scouting round the borders of the garden searching for some more potential hosts.  Its a great wayto grow roses that the bambis can’t nibble 🤣