Forum home Plants

Hosta la vista

I have always loved to see Hostas in a garden, but had never had any real success with them. The big issue is that slugs and snails like them a lot too. Very quickly a really beautiful plant is reduced to a Holy mess. Currently I have three different varieties in my garden. One is clearly losing the battle, another has begun it's battle. I have tried poisons (although with the birds that I get only using a slug bell), slug wool, beer traps and this year nemitodes. Yes they all kill slugs and snails, but not enough of them to stop the attack on my Hostas. Hope is not lost though. I have found a variety called Hosta Big Daddy, a shade loving plant that preports to be slug resistant. It's on it's second season and really is living up to it's claims. So far no holes. I have occasionally found slug trails on the leaves (easy to wash off) but no holes. It stands resplendent on it's chimney column hopefully for many years to come.it would be nice to find other varieties of hosta with these qualities. Any suggestions ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• That's great thanks for that 
  • Big Daddy will need a bigger pot though, Sum and Substance is equally large and not liked much by the slimy buggers. A few rounds of night patrols with a torch and pair of snips helps too. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • I agree I will need to get a larger pot. Luckily enough there is a size up in the range. I think I will try some night patrols.
    edited June 2020
    Our Hosta ‘Hadspen’s Blue’ never seems to suffer from the attentions of slugs and snails. We use no pellets or sprays on or around it and it looks like this every year 

Please excuse the lawn 😉 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• It's lovely I really like hostas in that colour too
    That bed faces west-north-west and is sheltered to the south by the brick wall of the neighbour’s house. In the summer it gets direct sun in the afternoon and evening. 

• Yeah it seems pretty good for my use