Forum home Plants

Planting times - when is best?

DevonianDevonian Posts: 176
I guess this is the same for most of us: plants are arriving later than usual because of the Covid-related delays meaning that we're planting out in the ground later than usual. (Also, I'm just disorganised :smile: )

My question is, is it better to get them in the ground or pot them up for planting next year? Here's a list of plants in question which haven't yet arrived:

Hosta Wide Brim (plug plants) - due around 18th June. 
Penstemon Phoenix Magenta (plug plants) - due around 18th June

Deschampsia Cespitosa Goldschleier (9cm pots) - due by end of June
Helenium Moerheim Beauty (9cm pots) - due by end of June

My gut feeling is that as they will have 2-3 months of agreeable weather until autumn starts to hit in October (and it's usually not until January that we get really cold weather if any) then they'll be fine to plant out.

But I'd be really grateful for advice as there's lots of conflicting info on the net!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,855
    I'd say it really depends upon their size. Maybe pot them on as soon as they arrive into bigger pots, the have a look ,say, Late July / August to think about planting them in the ground?
    Devon.
  • DevonianDevonian Posts: 176
    Thanks, yes I should have said it's more the plug plants that I'd be worried about. I think I'll wait til I see their size!
  • I'd pot them all on and make them into bugger stronger plants. Fingers crossed the weather will be good and help them grow fast. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,777
    I don't think you want to be buggering plants @amancalledgeorge :D

Joking apart - I agree. As soon as I hear the word 'plugs' I immediately think - pot on for a month at least. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DevonianDevonian Posts: 176
    Best typo ever! :D

Yes I think I'll pot on the plugs. When they're potted, is it best to leave them outside in a sheltered sunny spot with regular watering (except the hostas which will be in shade of course)?

Hostas don't have to be in shade
    Devon.
  • My secret is out @Fairygirl the text box on this site really messes up  Android's text input 😂
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,777
    My secret is out @Fairygirl the text box on this site really messes up  Android's text input 😂
    Speaks volumes about my mind too  :D 
    If they're really small, just keep them somewhere sheltered from any extreme weather until they're a decent size. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    nobody wants a small bugger

Devon.
  • Maximum sized bugger for all 🎉