Forum home Fruit & veg

Are my raspberrys dead?

Have no idea what to think here.. as I've no experience in growing raspberrys. But as u can see from the photos I think there dead! And why is the leaf at the bottom yellow and weak looking? Would appreciate some help please?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,490
    Not sure why you think they're dead..
    The fruits look just like mine, they'll be ripe in a few days (if it warms up)
    Lots of plants get the odd yellow leaf - leaves don't last forever and the plant discards them when they're no longer performing so they turn yellow and drop off.
    If you have a pic of the whole plant maybe we can see if there's a problem, but from the pic above I don't think you have much to worry about
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nbell744nbell744 Posts: 14

this was yesterday. Looks even worse now.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,490
    Do you know the variety, or do you know if they're summer or autumn raspberries?
    Summer raspbs. produce fruit on canes that grew last year and autumn raspbs. produce fruit on canes that grow this year.
    They seem to be planted in a raised bed, what soil/compost is in the bed?

It may be they are just settling-in and growing lots of roots.
    I had to wait 2 years before I got any fruit from my summer canes, but now I get lots.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • They look ok to me, the fruit are just in the early stages and will colour up soon. They look like young plants but you can see the new shoot coming out of the soil which will be where next years crop will fruit from. This is likely a summer fruiting raspberry. The discoloured leaves are a bit like mine. I wouldn’t worry. Next year the crop will be bigger and better.
  • nbell744nbell744 Posts: 14
    There malling jewell raspberrys, and its not really a raised bed, just a wooden border. I placed them in my lawn, as I was told they will not to well in pots. I put compost and manure when planting, but there is clay underneath.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    edited June 2020
    They should do fine in that ground as raspberries are fairly shallow rooted and Malling Jewel is very tolerant of poor soils.  As @Caroline117 said, the thing that really matters is the new shoot coming up from the ground, and you'll hopefully see more of those appear.  The plant is currently concentrating on growing new roots and canes will spring up from those in the coming years.  Treat the fruit you get this year as a bonus and once you have picked them, cut that old cane right back to the ground, as it will have done it's job.
    Do the same to every single cane in the future - once all the raspberries have been picked from a particular cane, cut it right back to the ground.  The plant will keep on producing new canes, each of which will bear fruit the following year.  Don't prune the new canes until they have produced fruit.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.