Forum home Garden design

Border ideas welcome!

Hello All. I’m working on my borders. This spring I have made various beds and levelled out what was previously mounds of mud and weeds. For the area highlighted in the snap attached, is planned a little pea gravel surface for pots and perhaps even a chair. I have however wondered if a structural hedge would be better, something I can clip very neatly. I’ve been warned against box where I am (blight!) so wonder any alternatives.

also - any ideas for this space very welcome!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,329
    There are various alternatives to box you could try 
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/my-account/articles/alternatives-to-box

Is it a sunny spot, or more shady ?
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,240
    If it is a structural hedge you go for, look for a small neat and slow growing one since the space there is limited. Euonymus Fortunei make good low hedges, and respond well to shaping and pruning back. Will do well in sun or shade.
  • Thanks @AnniD it’s sunny, all morning until dappled shade from 2pm ish as the sun goes behind some oak trees
  • oooftoooft Posts: 188
    Seems a shame to put in all the hard work to make it suitable for planting in then cover it with gravel and put pots on top. I'd keep my pots for areas where I wouldn't be able to plant anything into the ground. I would plant a nice flowering climber at tha back of that space and some perennials at the front but that's just me, I'm flowers daft
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,578
    It looks big enough for a nice bench, especially if it gets some sunshine but what would you be looking at directly opposite?
    I don't think a hedge as such would be suitable as it's in the middle of the fencing/border but one or two well behaved shrubs might be good, including a small climbing rose perhaps.
  • @oooft me too! However we’re using this as a space which breaks up 2 beds full of perennials and climbers :)@Lizzie27 a bench would be lovely. It’s only a 6m wide terraced house garden so just looks at the other side but will be a nice spot to watch the nippers playing!