Forum home Garden design

North Facing Front door.

Hi fellow gardeners my front door faces north and does not get any sun at all from the east. I would like to plant a climber or a rose (or both) in a half wooden barrell to brighten it up and have a few more smaller pots.  Have you any suggestions as to what I can plant that basically doesnt need sun but will give me some colour and cheer me up!

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,721
    edited June 2020
    There is always a clematis for every situation. 
    Look at Taylor's or Thorncroft clematis websites 
    As to roses I have just bought an orange climber called Warm Welcome.
    The supplier on Amazon stated it's suitable for a north wall but David Austin and others say full sun.
    On querying this with the suppliers i received the following reply

We have had this successfully planted in North Wall areas and seen and tested it ourselves in our own gardens - as have many of our customers for many years. If you would like to cancel and return the item you can do, but the information is correct

• maggiemew1maggiemew1 Posts: 35
    thank you K67. I really appreciate your reply. Love this forum. Almost addicted!

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,721
    Just looked at the suppliers website rather than their Amazon listing and that says semi shaded position so I don't think no sun at all would suit. 
  • JessumJessum Posts: 81
    The is a climbing rose called Souvenir de Docteur Jamaine (not sure of spelling) and it is a dark burgundy red colour.  I believe that Monty has one growing on a north facing wall. A clematis called Nelly Moser likes a north facing position, pink and white striped.
    I will look into that. 
    thank you very much.