Forum home Plants

Geranium Rozanne issues

jaffacakesjaffacakes Posts: 434
Hi all, i have 4 Geranium Rozannes in my garden. All 4 are in their 2nd year. 2 of them are not looking great at all. They didn't do too well last year either. I have been watering them but one of them especially is withered and yellow. It had a few flowers that really didn't open well.

I thought it might be the heat over the last week so i cut it back and gave it a good drink and seaweed feed. Tempted to dig up the really withered one for a container instead because tired looking at it.

The soil would be quite dry in this area especially now but i have been mulching with compost.

Anybody have else having issue with Geranium Rozannes this year especially in full sun areas? The ones in the shadier parts are growing much lusher and flowering nicely.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    No issues really, but mine tend to go slightly flaccid in full sun on a hot day. If they aren't liking your conditions, I would move them somewhere a bit shadier or pot them up and give them away.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 273
    Hi
    I have some in tubs that are growing and flowering well, saying that as soon as the sun hits them they droop, even though they are kept well watered as I am at home during the lockdown!

Some others are on a sloping border and are fine, and all are flowering well.

They really do dry out the soil around them, especially large plants, so it might be an idea to spike the soil around them with a garden fork and really pump the water into them.

Also I would forget any fertilizer feed to force them on at the minute, even seaweed feed, give them a chance to recover.

All the best!

• jaffacakesjaffacakes Posts: 434
    Thanks both. I'll leave them a bit longer to see how they get on with the cooler temperatures and more rainfall scheduled. I cut off some of the foliage that looked burnt on the worst Rozanne. I think they seem to prefer part shadier conditions in my garden though so will move them in autumn if they don't do well.
  • cats_and_dogscats_and_dogs Posts: 71
    edited June 2020
    Mine are growing in shade and are doing well. Maybe, like you said, the heat has worn them out. It's was an exceptionally hot and dry spring, some of my other geraniums growing in the sunny border have been looking a bit droopy and have needed a lot of watering. In my experience, Rozanne does better in part shade.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    If you were impatient and moved them now, they will be fine - just cut them to ground level and water them in well.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".