Forum home Garden design

How to level this rock hard clay!

Hi all I'm new here. I'm in the process of levelling my garden. Plan is to put sleepers around the perimeter slotted in vertical Rsjs then have a lawn space in the middle for the kiddos to play on. I've dug out a hell of a lot of soil(by hand) and I feel I'm getting to the point I've establishing a level for the ground. I just don't know the most time effective way of making the ground as level as possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to level this ground without the use of top soil as this would be hopeless with clay soil. 
I've attached some before and afters as reference if that makes any difference. 

Thank you.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,109
    Why do you not want to use topsoil? I would have thought that would be a prerequisite if you're having a lawn....  If the clay is rock hard and compacted you will have drainage issues so do break it up before roughly levelling it off, perhaps leave it to settle and see if you get puddles forming etc.

But the topsoil can help you get a level surface.
  • WillDB said:
    Why do you not want to use topsoil? I would have thought that would be a prerequisite if you're having a lawn....  If the clay is rock hard and compacted you will have drainage issues so do break it up before roughly levelling it off, perhaps leave it to settle and see if you get puddles forming etc.

But the topsoil can help you get a level surface.
    Hi. I feel using top soil will be a waste of money. As I think we may be using artificial grass. I'm just interested in knowing if there is a specific tool or method advices for levelling other than topsoil.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,054
    An ex-colleague of mine had artificial turf laid professionally. I think he said they used sand and some kind of membrane/underlay. You can probably find instructions online.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,731
    You need a hard-core base using what's called mot then a 5cm layer of fine 2mm to dust limestone or granite chippings or sharp sand on top. Levelled off with a compactor plate for artificial grass as this does need good drainage as much as real grass.
    Look into laying turf on sand as I am sure I have seen it mentioned but under the sand you still need top soil.