Forum home Wildlife gardening

Are these going to be Ladybirds?

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,306
Over the last few weeks I'm very pleased to see my garden infested with ladybirds. They seem to be everywhere - which is wonderful.
I'm also finding hundreds of these stuck onto a wide variety of surfaces.
They are attached by what looks like a little suction pad.
The ones on this brick have been there at least a week now.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    YES!!! 🐞 🐞 🐞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,306
    Phew! Thanks Dove :)
    All I need now is some aphids 😁
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,348
    Send them here, I've got loads of food for them and never enough ladybirds. 
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,066
    That could be a harlequin I think but I'm definitely not a bug person, there was a survey a few years ago on the BBC and that looks very familiar.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,834
    Some good photos of the Harlequin ladybird pupa at this page: https://www.aboutanimals.com/insect/harlequin-ladybird/

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 779
    @Pete.8  I have a few on my Wisteria I could donate!!!  I have built a ladybird house with Eucalyptus "knobs" that I brought back from Australia.  I hope it is being inhabited - I keep forgetting to look!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,306
    Interesting article PJ - hope they're not Harlequins, but what will be, will be.
    I can't recall ever seeing so many Ladybirds and whilst I recognize the juvenile form I've not noticed them pupating before. They are even dotted around the aluminium frame of my greenhouse - which gets very hot in the sun
    The only plants I can see that have aphids this year are the tops of my blackcurrants and a couple of the roses. Lupins have already been mullered by woolly aphids.
    If they ate slugs they'd have an almost unlimited supply