Forum home Plants

New agapanthus

Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
My agapanthus fireworks has just arrived but unfortunately they've had to cut the only flower spike it had to fit it into the box.

Is there any chance of more forming this year or will that be it until next year?

I'll get it potted up properly in the next few days.

• Hi Dirty Harry

dont worry, it should grow some more before the flowering seasons out. You have to ask yourself why they just did not get a bigger box???????

Enjoy its a great plant and flowers are brilliant

Jolly Gary
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
    Yes I did wonder that although granted it'd be one hell of a tall box for the size of pot, would need another 10" to have been clear.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
    This did grow one other flower in mid to late summer but I've just noticed there's another bud forming. Not what I was expecting.

Should I snip this off given the plant is supposed to be resting at this time of year?

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    One of my agapanthus is flowering now. I divided it last autumn because it had outgrown the pot and I thought it wouldn't flower but it has two huge flowers which have lasted weeks because it is not so hot. I would be inclined to let yours do as it wishes, unless you see signs of distress. Incidentally, I keep mine in a large cold-frame during the worst of winter and usually get early flowers.