Forum home Wildlife gardening

Preformed wildlife pond liners

Anyone know of a good shaped preformed pond liner for a wildlife pond?

I'll start off by stating that I hate these plastic preformed pond liners. However, I'm wanting to put a 2nd pond in an area of the garden where there's a fair chance at some point our labrador might venture in, because thats what he does. I could use a butyl liner and place smooth stones all over it, but a preformed one would prevent leaks. I'd conceal any visible plastic with stones, planting and logs.

Most preformed liners have steep sides, with only small areas with a shelf for planting. Are there any shaped specifically for wildlife ponds?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,306
    I bought one of these-

and here it is-

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 917
    Well Pete.8, in just one single post you have disproven my belief that preformed pond liners are horrible. You have planted yours up beautifully and looks amazing.
    Thank you very much @LeadFarmer
    I was dubious about getting a preformed pond, but it's worked out well.
    I drilled a few holes in the lip and using fishing line attached baskets to the sides too so I can plant all around the sides of the pond. You can see 2 pots in a basket (but whatever I plant in them is dug up and destroyed by some wildlife).
    I've got dwarf Greek oregano growing around one side which as you can see has almost covered the lip, and creeping thyme in flower on the other side which has covered the lip completely.
    I attached 2 baskets to the side with the thyme each with 2 fibre optic grass plants.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 917
    Is yours fibreglass? They are a bit more expensive aren’t they. 
    Yes it is fiberglass - I think it was about £250 when I bought it 4 years ago.
    It is sturdy.
  • JoolzJoolz Posts: 24
    @LeadFarmer I have just finished adding a wildlife pond to my garden this week. I purchased a preformed liner as it was me doing all the hard graft of digging it out and putting it in place etc. 
    It's not a large pond as I'm new to this type of thing and wanted to *test the water* so to speak before I commit to adding a larger one in the garden. 
    It's a Bermuda Sands Pond and I have to say, I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. 

• Pete.8 said:
    I bought one of these-

and here it is-

That’s a great pond 👍
    Thank you :)