Forum home Plants

Dodgy Lonicera

Hi there, my husband picked me up the exact Loniceras I wanted at the weekend and he was extra pleased because the nursery gave them to him half price. Here’s why:
Is this a fungal disease? Powdery mildew? Pretty much the whole plant has this except the growing tips. The plants themselves are about a metre tall but spindly, I had intended them for a partially shady spot but I’m wondering if I should hold off, repot them, cut them back, feed them and put them in a sunny spot for a month or so. Or do you think better to get them in the ground. Best chance of recovery? Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,858
    edited June 2020
    Looks like they’ve got a bit dry in the past ... they really don’t like being in pots. 

Dig in lots of organic material first and tip a bucketful of water into the planting hole and let it drain away then plant them.

Then I’d cut them back to two or three strong looking sideshoots and make sure they never dry out. They don’t want a bog but they do need damp feet. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    It'll be fine - just follow the planting advice given by @Dovefromabove .

Put it in the shady spot you intended too - not the sun.  :) 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Perfect, I was hoping that might be the solution! Thank you