Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea help!!

Hello everyone, 
I treated myself to a beautiful potted hydrangea plant from b&q at the weekend for my balcony. We had some rain at the weekend so I’m conscious the flower heads have got all wet which I have now noticed it says on the care card to avoid?! I gave the soil itself a water this morning incase it needed a drink. The flower heads don’t feel dry... but they look very sorry for themselves. I also wonder whether the sun in the morning on my balcony is causing it?  Is there any way I can salvage this And look after it in the future  ! very much not a gardener here so would really appreciate some advice! I’ve included a pic of what it looked like before too.   

• PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I dont think it matters about rain getting the flower heads. I have a hydrangea in my garden and it gets battered by the elements regularly.

Hydrangeas dont like being in pots. They are more of a ground plant. You might help it in the shorter term by potting it onto a bigger pot as I find the pots that plants are supplied in just aren't big enough for them.

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    There are some hydrangeas that don’t get huge and can live in pots, but that looks to me like on that wants to grow big, so I agree that a (much) bigger pot is your first step.  Are there roots visible at the base of the pot? 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,476
    Does the pot have any drainage holes in the bottom? If not it will be very difficult to get watering right. As suggested a bigger pot with drainage will help.
  • Hi everyone. Thank you - I didn’t realise it could cause this effect so quickly! Yes the roots are visible and no there are no drainage holes...! The pot is currently 23cm in size. What kind of size would you recommend? And what do I need to pot it - any specific soil or anything? :) 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    Sorry if I’m confused, but if there are no drainage holes where are you seeing roots? 

Hydrangeas aren’t fussy and can live in most soil, but the colour of the flower changes depending on the pH.  If you want pink flowers you can give it slightly alkaline soil, if you want blue flowers you can give it slightly acidic soil.