Forum home Fruit & veg

Corn plants growing fast...

Hello all. First time post here from the U.S. My question regards corn plants. I have started some seedlings in cardboard egg cartons and I wanted to asked how big should I let them grow to before I transfer them to the garden? Is there a minimum size. I seem to remember from one of the episodes Monty saying that corn doesn't like to be moved......

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,900
    Where are you in the US?  Corn does much better direct sown in most areas of the US.. we have a much better light levels for longer than Monty.  
    Egg cartons are too small, really, for a big plant like corn to start.  Egg cartons are okay for small plants like lettuce, etc.. but even then I suggest they are more difficult than they are worth.  Toilet paper tube pots are a better option, if you want something like that.  Personally, I save all the six pack plastic plant pots from various bedding plants I've purchased over the years, and those work great.  Reusing.  Yogurt containers with holes work great too.
    I've strayed off track.. if you've grown them inside, 'harden' them off and plop them out in the garden ASAP.  You could possibly put them out into the ground in the egg carton.. but I found it restricts the roots considerably.. so maybe just tear them down the sides a bit to help the roots escape.
    Utah, USA.
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    Or grow them in root trainers and plant out when they're about 5 inches tall. They grow fast as so on as they're outside in sun and deep ground...
  • AstroAstro Posts: 357
    I've never had any problems with transplanting them.  I've grown them contested in pots where the roots were tangled and pulled them apart, and they still grew just fine. 

The main problem for me is they tend to rot off when you water too much early on. Once the weather is decent I've planted some out at about 3 inches.
  • Right on. Thank you for all or your replies. I am going to transfer them to the raise beds.