Forum home Tools and techniques

How to make a brick edge to retain gravel.

I wonder if anyone can help with this.  During my furlough I have been helping an older neighbour with his garden.  He is not the least bit a gardener and never ventures out and seems happy for me to have a tidy around.
The is a little "courtyard" area that would look great with some gravel as it is bare earth at the moment.  A neighbour was getting rid of some gravel so she let me have it for free.  I need to make a retaining barrier and found a load of bricks piled up at the end of the garden.
I have mocked up how I would like the bricks to look and my question is this:
Is there a type of mortar/concrete that is ready mixed so that I can just add water to it?  If it exists, how many bags would I need?  The length of the edging is no more than 4 metres.
If I have to dig down a bit how deep should it be?
No one will be stepping on this so I need it to be strong enough to keep the gravel in place.
I hope this all makes sense.  

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,516
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-edge-a-lawn-with-bricks/
    Yes you can buy ready mixed mortar but you would need to see how much you would need by reading the pack, sure to be information on a suppliers website such as B&Q or Wickes

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,362
    One standard bag should cover that wee row, unless you're intending putting a concrete footing down first to start off with a level site. 
    Not sure what you mean about digging down deeper though? By the time you put a couple of inches of gravel down, the edging will be at about the right height to contain it.  The level for the bricks would only need to be about an inch lower [approximately] than the level of the ground the gravel's going onto, unless you're doing an aforementioned found for them. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JessumJessum Posts: 81
    Thanks guys, I have been rethinking this and I will probably gravel right across. The neighbour has given me some more gravel so there is plenty to go around and I can use the walls and boundaries that are already there.