Forum home Problem solving

Mole in the compost?

I think I’ve got a mole who has booked himself into a new restaurant - my compost heap. What do other members think of the evidence?

There are a few remedies I know that don’t work (according to other posts on this forum)...

But I thought I might try the pickled onion cure... 

If it is a mole, then at least that explains 
[a] why all the compost I shifted last week looked so fantastically crumbly...

...but unfortunately, that also explains 
[b] why I didn’t see any of the hundreds of worms that should have been there...

But if it’s not a mole ...

... I’ll just have to introduce the pickled onions to nice cheese sandwich and beer! 😋

(I’ve just had an after thought...Does anyone know how to cook mole? ) 🤔

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,514
    edited June 2020
    I suppose it might be a mole .... but in my experience rats are more likely to be found in compost heaps than moles ... 🐀 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Had moles in compost before. I left them because they were just stirring it up and saving me the bother.

There is an old trick with old fashioned glass milk bottles, dig out a fresh hill, put in the bottle and the wind blowing on the lip makes a sound that reverberates around the tunnels driving moles away. It's all I've ever done in the past and it really did seem to work around our pond where I was worried they could breach the liner.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,085
    edited June 2020
    I hope Gemma is right, but I fear Dove is probably closer to the mark.
    I have found similar goings-on in my bins and once saw a rat scurry away into the hole as I lifted the lid.

But if Gemma is right then there a re 2 options-
    The well-known French dish Moles mariniére
    or the Belgian Moles-Frites 
    Enjoy :)
    Or if Dove is  right - then Ratatouille  :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 464
    @Pete.8 😂😂
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,514
    @Pete.8   👍 🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh