Forum home Plants

Scarlet Pimpernel....friend or foe?!

linzijayne74linzijayne74 Posts: 198
Hi there.  I've just found this in my border and on the internet I've discovered it's a Scarlet Pimpernel.  I was just wondering if it should stay or if it should go, please?!  Many thanks.  :)

• B3B3 Posts: 27,339
    I like them but they do spread about a bit. Easy to identify and easy to pull out where you don't want them.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,020
    We have loads of this stuff popping up in dry areas and stony bits.   I find t totally underwhelming so remove it from any beds I find it in but leave it alone in paths and wild bits for any insects who can make use of it.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • linzijayne74linzijayne74 Posts: 198
    Hi @B3; thanks for getting back to me.  It was a complete surprise to find this in my border only half an hour ago!  They're pretty flowers but I don't think I'll want it spreading in my border too much; I can only find one plant so far but as you say, I will dig out ones I don't want in future.  Thank you.  :) 
    Hi @Obelixx; thank you for your reply.  It's a shame they're not bigger flowers as I think they're pretty but I shall keep an eye on them if they misbehave in my border!  I hope the wildlife enjoys the ones you keep in your paths and wild areas.  Thanks again.  :) 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,935
    As children we’d look at them so we knew if the sun was shining ... but there are other ways of finding out 😉 

Lots of folklore about them and lovely local names 

https://www.ediblewildfood.com/scarlet-pimpernel.aspx

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Hi @Dovefromabove; thank you for your reply.  I have never seen or heard of these flowers until today!  Yes, I've seen there are some charming names for them: 'poorman's barometer' is just one of them!  Always interesting to discover, as all of nature is, I find.  Thanks again.  :) 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,339
    I don't mind them being small. I don't want all of my flowers to be inyerface😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,990
    I love them
  • Love Scarlet Pimpernels, they remind me of playing in my nan's garden. Can't get them to grow in my garden though. I've tried sowing them from seed and even bought some plugs hoping they'd self seed, but nope :(