Forum home Plants

Is this a rose?

VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 650
Hey i've just noticed this in one of my borders, is this a rose?. I didn't plant it so not sure but i do have roses in this boarder.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,935
    It's a rose but to me it looks very much like the wild Dog rose, Rosa canina ... possibly a gift from a bird who spent some time perched on that fence while he digested his dinner. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,643
    Yes, either that or it's a sucker from a nearby rose...  I suspect a sucker because it seems to have few thorns on it.. is there another rose near to it?
    East Anglia, England
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 650
    There is a rose next to it called Super Trooper but its least a foot or two away.

These are grown all  down my street that were put in by the local council , don't know what they are.

...likely a sucker from your Super Trouper rose, they can pop up out of the ground several feet away...
    East Anglia, England
    So is it best to cut it off
    Yes remove it but try and trace it back as far as you can to the roots of the rose and snap it off as close to the roots, but failing that, just remove as much as you can of the runner... if it regrows at least you can keep your eye on it..
    East Anglia, England
    thanks for the info
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    Whatever the council's rose is, it's lovely.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
    It is isn't it, i've been tempted to try take a cutting lol
    Well this morning i dug the mystery rose out and it wasn't attached to any of my roses. I've potted it up to see if it makes it and find out what it it.