Forum home Fruit & veg

Autumn-sown peas ... 🌱

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,488
edited June 2020 in Fruit & veg
I’ve never grown autumn-sown  peas but am considering it. Our veg patch is relatively sheltered although the wind can be blustery. 

I always sow my broad beans in late October with no protection and they do very well, but I do have some wind netting I could use. 

Does anyone here sow peas in the autumn?  All tips, tricks and favourite varieties are welcome. 

Thanks 😊 
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    I'm interested in this too, sounds like we do exactly the same - broad beans in October/November, and a windy location. Would love to grow peas over winter, although I'd put them in the pea bed and don't want that to impact my summer peas...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,488
    Bumping ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,317
    I have sown Autumn peas in the past but they never do well they are nowhere near as tough as Broad beans. That said my Allotment site is quite exposed in spite of being "in town" Can't remember which ones I tried,  the books always say round seeded varieties are suitable. Sorry not to be more help.
    AB Still learning

That’s helpful thanks @Allotment Boy 😊 

• Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 113
    When we say autumn sown, when exactly do we mean? I'm about to sow a successional batch of peas today or tomorrow, guessing these are still called summer sown? 
    edited June 2020
    😱Its still summer!!! ... we haven’t had Midsummer’s Day yet!

Autumn sown is Sept/Oct/Nov

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,317
    Yes Autumn sown are allowed to germinate but then left to stand till spring when they re-start and produce an earlier crop than you would get from first spring sown ones. That said you only gain 2-3 weeks at best, especially if you can start spring ones in modules and plant out rather than waiting to sow direct. The other advantage is supposed to be that they are less susceptible to pest attack (same as for Autumn sown Broad Beans).
    AB Still learning

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 317
    Meteor are a autumn and winter sown pea,I bought a packet a while a couple years ago and neverf got round to sowing them,I might try and sow them this autumn and see how they do 
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Think I would opt for using fleece over the winter. Will cut down the wind, trap the early spring heat. Not something I've done, but for the first year ever really looking at Autumn sowings and winter veg this year. Would love to hear how you get on with them Dove and which variety/varieties you go for.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 578
    Bumping this again.
    I have autumn-sown broad bean (Masterpiece Longpod and Aqualdulce Claudia) and pea (Meteor and Avola) seedlings in root trainers in an unheated greenhouse. The roots are beginning to show out the bottoms of the root trainers now. I was wondering when I could safely plant them out.
    The broad beans seem quite robust (although some are a bit floppy) and are about 8 inches tall, I think. The peas smaller and alas a little less robust-looking.
    Any advice?
    The broad beans will ultimately go in a raised bed and the peas either the same, or in very big pot.
    They can all stay in the greenhouse till spring, of course, but I don't want them to become root bound, so would need to pot on? (Or bring that big pot into the small greenhouse.)