Forum home Garden design

Removal of Yew Hedge or not ?

Hello , we would like to open up our garden and remove the yew hedge at the back. Behind the hedge is a lovely tree which we would like to put a seat around . The trouble is , I’m not sure we are doing the right thing.. it seems such a shame to remove such a well established hedge ... perhaps lowering the hedge would be better but we still need to keep part of it on the right side to screen the rest of the garden. any ideas would be greatly received. Thankyou 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    seems sensible to remove a section the same width as the grass path in front.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    edited June 2020
    I would simply cut a pathway through it as @Hostafan1 suggests  ... with a focal point through the gateway it would really enhance the garden ... although I think I'd make it a bit narrower which would slightly exaggerate the perspective and make the garden seem a bit more spacious.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Totally in agreement with comments above. Was it on Gardeners' World recently where there was a garden with 'peep holes' in several of the hedges? It worked really well. Yew is slow growing and I would want to keep it, so the solution of both providing a walk way and a view beyond it to the tree, seems perfect, the opportunity to make it a focal point can't be missed. 
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 902
    All sounds good I'd say, would be a shame to remove such a hedge.

Leylandii, now that's a different story...

Nice box hedging too by the way.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,380
    Id cut a window into it first.  Then a gap for a path.  And only if I still wasnt satisfied then consider removing the whole lot :smile: