Forum home Fruit & veg

Is coal good or bad in a veg bed?.

I'm taking up a patch of lawn in order to make a veg bed but I’m finding a fair bit of coal, little lumps.  I’d like to know if my veg will be ok.  I’m using the patch primarily for runner beans, peas, French beans.  It’s an area that once was hop fields.  I’m very new to gardening but have completely got the bug so ant help is appreciated 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,135
    Hello, and welcome to the rollercoaster world of gardening.

Coal is just a mineral, like limestone or sandstone. It might be that it is your local stone and that’s why it’s there. It could be making the earth around it acidic, or it could not.

If you can buy yourself a soil testing kit, you can test the soil in different parts of your garden. This will help you to work out which plants will grow best in it.

As your garden used to be hop fields, the chances are that the soil is neutral to alkaline, so most things will grow in it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,422
    edited June 2020
    Hi and welcome to the forum @KirstiPeters 😊

I don’t think it’ll be a problem. It used to be quite common to find coal from old coal heaps as well as stove ash in back gardens and on paths. As far as I’m aware coal is pretty inert and doesn’t affect growing plants. 

Good luck with your gardening. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh