Forum home Garden design

Garden fence colour

Hi all, I have painted my sleepers dark oak and I have a grey patio (Indian stone). I need some help with deciding what colour fence? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 
Mark 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,575
    Hello Mark and welcome to the forum. Fence colour is a very personal thing. A dark fence is nice to contrast the plants that grow in front of it but it may 'draw' the garden in and make it appear smaller than it is. If you wish to have a colour rather than the usual golden browns or russets there are some nice pastel shades that might appeal. Here is an example of some:
    Shed and Fence Colour Chart - Protek Wood Stain
    Other brands are available. My nephew is in the process of building me a back gate and I've opted for a pale green - another brand to the one above - similar to the Light Green on there. I hope this helps.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,329
    edited June 2020
    A few more ideas here Mark  :)
    https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/garden_colour/colour_selector/index.jsp

As Ladybird says, it's a very personal choice,. If you asked half a dozen people l doubt you'd get them all to agree !
  • Thank you for your comments. I don't suppose there is a website where you can see different colours up against a dark oak for example? Someone did mention a light green to me before. I have attached a picture of the garden. As you can see I have put a bit of grey on the fence to try.
    Mark 
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 474
    Personally, I would paint them the dark oak to match the sleepers
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    Black. Vanishes at night, shows off everything in front of it, makes the garden look bigger.
    Devon.
  • I'm worried that will hide the sleepers as I want them to stand out? 
    Mark 
    Everything stands out in front of black. Black just vanishes.
    Devon.
  • Sorry that was with the dark oak comment. 
    Mark 
    Sorry that was with the dark oak comment. 
    @Fairygirl painted her fence black. I wonder if she might see this and post a photo to let you see.
    Devon.
  • KiliKili Posts: 483
    Slate Grey from B&Q gives a nice dark background

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'