Forum home Garden design

What shrubs should I plant?

I have a small front lawn and would like to change the shrubs under my window (please ignore the grass, I have had a leatherjacket infestation!). I don't really know what to plant there so any suggestions are welcome!

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,721
    Hope you are getting rid of the grass?
    How much sun does the area get, I assume a fair amount as it looks like you have a rosemary bush along with what looks like the housing estate favourite Portuguese laurel.
    Do you want all evergreen?
    Hebes come in a wide range of foilage colours and sizes.
    Euonymus again great foilage various sizes, 
    Few bulbs scattered for spring 
    Several of the same shrub might look better than all different ones, although I have never been disciplined enough to do that!

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,856
    As above, I presume you are getting rid of the 'grass'......... could be beautiful little spot
  • F4yzeF4yze Posts: 2
    Thank you both 😊 yes I'm definitely going to get rid of the grass! It does get a lot of sun, I have been thinking about evergreens but I'm new quite new to gardening and don't know much about them. I really appreciate the help 😊
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,317
    My instinct is for lavender  :)
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,238
    What look do you have in mind? I must admit, you already have two great evergreen shrubs. Rosemary can flower for long periods if it's very sunny. The Prunus Laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' will not really get any taller than the current height and will be easily controlled with annual pruning. Both offer a nice little back-drop to whatever you choose to plant in front.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,100
    Caryopteris Heavenly Blue, Rosa The Fairy, and (on the corners where it can spread) Geranium Rozanne 
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 432
    I have a Choisya SunDance in my front garden and it brightens up the winter with its yellow evergreen leaves.