Forum home Tools and techniques

hot compost bins

What are peoples thoughts on hot composting?

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 358
    I love mine although it’s not big enough so i also use a standard style compost bin. I do get compost every 3-6 month with the hot bin. With the cold bin it take much longer - 12 - 18 months. 
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Great if you want fast compost and have the right materials available for an accurate mix. Lots of work and monitoring involved to do it perfectly.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 8,296
    I love my Hot Box (if you are asking specifically about those). If you layer and mix it you can get up to 70oC. Mine usually is more usually about 40oC, adding bits and pieces of paper, garden and kitchen waste as  I go. I wouldn't add meat or poo, fat or dairy, as they say you can. As others have noted on the forum, it is hard to keep it at a very high temp.  I dare say it's easier if you 1) are on-task constantly 2)  if you have grass clippings 3) turn it a lot. I'm not on any of these. But still, the turn over from kitchen waste to ready compost is about three months with no effort from me. The system does certainly work.

The one down side is that it's too hot for worms and about 90% of the nutrition of homade compost comes from worms pooing out the waste. I still have worms but they are always wanting to escape and they live around the edges and in the lid, ever making bids for freedom. They are much happier in standard black dustbins with lids. These have a similar three month cycle (small, shedded materials only). Though they don't get as hot.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,036
    Never found the need, our compost is ready in two months, turned over and into another container, then start again.  If you get the balance right it should make on its own, it does need heat, place the bins in full sun and water if too dry.  Be careful full though,  our  grass clippings are smoking. 

We made so much last year we didn’t use it all.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.