Forum home Plants

Grapevine

I have an unknown grapevine in a substantial pot situated by a south facing wall, and for the last 4 to 5 weeks leaf buds have appeared but unfortunately most have died off leaving a small cluster of leaves at the top of the vine ( Approx 2 metres high ). I have given it feed and plenty of water. Any suggestions? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Could it have started to leaf-up earlier and then got caught by the late frosts we had just as the buds were opening (assuming your are in the UK)?  That's what happened to mine and it killed nearly all of the opening buds which went dry and now fall off if you touch them.  The buds nearer the ends of the vine naturaly open a bit later than those nearer the roots and so missed the frost and grew into leaves.  Only now are the lower parts beginning to bud and leaf-up.
    Mine is 50+ years old, in the ground and about 40-50 feet long, so I don't think lack of water has played any part.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,648
    Agree. Ours were hit by frost and the early leaves and opening flower buds were hit very badly.
    They are now getting back into good growth apart from one that is growing leaves like mad but flowers are now absent.
    We do not water any of our vines.