Forum home Plants

Is there something wrong with my clematis?

Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
Good morning, 

last year I bought a Daniel Deronda clematis. It grew well and a had quite a few flowers from it a short while ago. Now though the leaves appear to be looking a bit unhappy and I’m wondering whether it’s unhappy or sick. Any suggestions As to what is wrong are welcome. 

Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019
    Looks to me like it's planted far too close to that wall and is probably very thirsty.

Try watering it every day, 5litres minimum and poured slowly so it soaks in.   If it perks up, carrying on watering regularly and also give it a good feed.

Come autumn, when it dies down naturally, dig it up and re-plant at least 40cms out from the wall and several inches deeper than before.  This will help keep it's roots moist and encourage extra shoots to grow for next year's flowers.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for letting me know. I remember planting it and for some reason had 20cm from a wall of fence stuck in my head. I’ve just been out and measured and it’s dead on 20cm. I have been watering that area a lot as it right by my Boscobel rose which up until recently I was watering every other day. I stopped as I then read about the problems associated with over coddling plants. Is it likely that the Rose could be taking most of the water? Sorry if that’s a daft question. 
    Both roses and clematis are hungry, thirsty plants and both should be planted further out from a wall or fence because of the ran shadow they cast.

In addition, walls are porous and they absorb moisture from the soil so are providing competition for water.   Plants need coddling with well prepared soil,, correct planting depth and watering at the time of planting and then regular watering till they get established, especially in hot dry spells like the one just past.   Roses and clematis need an annual spring feed too and even established ones benefit from a good deep drink in dry periods.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
    Thank you that’s really helpful. I’ll give that a go. The Rose is planted further out and doing really well but I’ll focus a bit more attention on the clematis and move it later on in the year. 

Also thinking back to when I planted everything in that flower bed last summer they were all much smaller (as tends to happen) so the Salvia next to it could also be preventing it from getting much moisture from rainfall as it’s has grown a lot since last summer and forms a bit of a canopy over the base of the plant. 
    Clematis don't mind having oher plants close up as long as they get their fair share or more of food and water.