Forum home Tools and techniques

Compost bin help for a complete beginner

• stephentamestephentame Southwest EnglandPosts: 97
    It's been some years since I stopped turning compost in the dalek.

Turning it will speed up the process, but it's only worth doing it if (a) you want to do it, or (b) if you are in a compost race with a friend with a large and delicious chocolate prize for the winner.

I get two, maybe three loads out of it a year. I have two daleks, and when I empty one, I just throw anything unfinished in the second one. If I only had one dalek I'd just set aside anything unfinished when I emptied it, and throw it in to start the next batch.
  • stephentamestephentame Southwest EnglandPosts: 97
    Treeface said:
    I started composting this year when the council stopped the garden waste collection because of the virus. I got a 300L plastic one for £24.99 and also bought a shredder for some tree branches. I struggle to turn the waste in the heap from such a bin. I want compost by Autumn and apparently turning speeds it up. Think I've wasted my money.

I think you'll be fine - you'll certainly have some useful compost by the autumn. Just set aside anything unfinished when you empty it, and use that to start the next batch.
  • MontysGalMontysGal South WalesPosts: 56
    I’m wondering if I’m being a bit over the top by taking the bags off my teabags and just putting the tea leaves in....am I making pointless work for myself?! Can I chuck them in as they are?! 
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    MontysGal said:
    I’m wondering if I’m being a bit over the top by taking the bags off my teabags and just putting the tea leaves in....am I making pointless work for myself?! Can I chuck them in as they are?! 

Depends what the bag is made from, I'd imagine. Paper can be broken down. Plastic can't. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    A lot of teabags have some synthetic fibre in them and they don't break down.  I buy my teabags from Traidcraft, they claim they are fully biodegradeable.  But I still tear them open.  When I put them in whole, they stayed whole.  I don't go so far as to separate bags from content; I find just tearing the bag works fine, they disappear in the compost bin.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 956
    @MontysGal very few teabags are compostable at the last count 85% of tea bags sold in this country contain plastic. If you read them up all you do is produce small pieces which in turn become microplastics. I'm not a environmental warrior at Al but can't see why plastic can't be banned in all tea bags 
  • MontysGalMontysGal South WalesPosts: 56
    Thank you @josusa47 and @Wilderbeast ....I’ll keep opening them up for the tea leaves then just as I’d thought. I’d read about the plastic in them apparently it’s in the seal of the bags, I don’t know why they haven’t found an alternative for that yet! The amount of tea I drink I’m probably 50% plastic by now; I should really brew more loose-leaf instead 😆
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 468
    MontysGal said:
    As said previously, most teabags do not compost as the bags contain plastic. I empty all my tea bags into my compost. As a big tea drinker at home and working with big tea drinkers I have a lot of tea bags to empty. When I got my first batch of compost, my husband was convinced that my compost was just tea leaves 🤣🤣.  Anyway, no I don't think you are making work for yourself as they would not break down properly.
  • I so totally agree about tea bags not breaking down, even now I can dig one up from compost made about 4 years ago.
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    edited July 2020
    Compost bin arrived!! She's set up. I did move the chips from underneath and pulled back the liner, then put the chips back around the base to help steady it.

I'd recommend Evergreener if anyone's looking for one.