Forum home Plants

Alliums

Any tips /suggestions /good sites to buy from for creating an allium border for next year?

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,626
    Warmenhoven are the most renowned growers.  Not cheap but amazing quality.  Crocus or the RHS are cheaper and still very good quality. 
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,815
    I usually get them from Farmer Gracy or Peter Nyssen and both companies have been excellent.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited June 2020
    Bought mine in Waitrose second year doing well.
    Th8nk they are supplied by Taylor's bulbs

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,642
    I don’t have that many, just Purple Rain and Atropurpureum, but same as pitter-patter, Farmer Gracy and Nyssens. They don’t always come back so I find myself reordering some every year!

• Thanks for all your comments- have ordered Purple sensation and Christophii from Sarah Raven
  • PoppypussPoppypuss LancashirePosts: 89
    In my garden once you’ve planted Christophii you’ll never be without as they self seed everywhere. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862
    Just remember to plant them deep. Six inches is good for purple rain and similar sized bulbs.   Planted shallow, they split and form lots of small bulbs.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,452
    I have bought atropurpureum, purple sensation and Christophii from the range, BM bargains etc - all have done well. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,092
    I like purple sensation and buy some every year wherever I see them come August-September. The show is gradually increasing each year.
  • ElizakateElizakate Posts: 8
    I have Allium bulbs on order from Farmer Gracy for planting this autumn. I intend to plant these in an empty part of the garden and would appreciate any ideas for planting with them.