Forum home Fruit & veg

HAILSTORM

Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 111
Has ripped my pumpkins, squash, courgette, dwarf beans and aubergines to shreds

*CRY* 

Heart is broken. :( 

Someone tell me they'll recover even though I know when a plant has 100% of its leaves ripped to shreds it won't recover :(

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,547
    You have my sympathy.  I came home from the Chelsea Flower Show one year to find my garden had been ripped to shreds by a tornado with hailstones for good measure.   I'm afraid all the young pumpkins, courgettes and beans were shredded beyond salvaton. 

The rhubarb patch looked lke it had been nuked, of about 20 pots of hostas plus the ones in beds only one leaf was left standing and clematis stems were ripped and torn.  Roses and shrubs and trees had hailstone scars on their woody stems.   After removing all the damaged foliage and making sure everything was fed and watered all these recovered.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 111
    Thank you obelixx
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,994
    How awful!  We usually suffer a hailstorm of large size at least one in the summer.  Some years it's shredded everything.. other years the plants just get on with perforated leaves.  I've gone running outside with sheets, tarps, and even old shower curtains to cover my garden in a hail storm.. if I happen to be home.  One year we has the most terrifying jack-o-lanterns because the hail gave the growing pumpkins a pocked scarred appearance on one side.  

As Dove said, removed extremely damaged plant material and give them some TLC.  It's still early, and plants have some established roots.. hopefully they put up some new growth and recover.. even if set back by a few weeks.
    Utah, USA.
  • I darent go up the garden!! One year my dad had just put all his begonias out and hail just shredded them.this year I've not got any bedding plants.but I fear for my pumpkins
    Thank you blue onion! I've done some reading and when all this rain stops (we've got another day yet) I'll go out and do a foliar feed and just hope for the absolute best. I sowed my courgette early and have had 1 off it already with another on the way, I'm hoping its established enough that it will just be delayed and not fully die. 

The aubergines gone but I've come to terms with that. 4 months of growing and anticipating, abruptly ended in a 2 minute hail storm was a bit hard to digest at first! I cant believe in those 2 minutes a leaf could be fully stripped of its matter, I've never seen it before. 

The squash is as the courgette, as are the pumpkins and the dwarf beans looked better after my initial look (in dismay..)

Oh and I've lost my nasturtiums. I had a hot orange ember, glowing flower bud, just about to open. It'll never open now; every single leaf of all my nasturtiums were stripped. Every single leaf!

Ah, onwards and upwards. 
    The tidy gardener; it'll be okay! I know your apprehension, the walk to my back garden was a heavy walk.

I'm one of those 'just close your eyes and rip off the bandaid' types :smile:

Argh I've completely lost all my calabrese too, started off late so they were only tiddly didnt stand a chance. 
  • berginjim5berginjim5 Posts: 46
    my gunnera got totally battered and most other plants took a battering with the win d around the heavy showers