Forum home Problem solving

Laid new turf yesterday. Water pooling at edges

Hi guys, first time here. Hope you are all well. 

just installed new turf yesterday.
Noticed the following 

It drains away within 15 or so minutes. Should I edge the garden off and seperate it via some plastic edging and then level it off with topsoil? Compost?

Plan was always to introduce some gravel and solar stake lights. 

Thanks

• KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,832
    As it does drain away I wouldn't worry about it.  In fact the edges are the area which tends to dry out fastest so additional water there might actually be a bonus.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,740
    That looks like excellent quality turf which has been well laid. I would say you have nothing to worry about. If you want more reassurance scroll back to a couple of recent posts on people with turfing woes. Patchy yellow straw with crispy edges and plentiful weeds - now they are in trouble.
  • dehilddehild Posts: 4
    BenCotto said:
    That looks like excellent quality turf which has been well laid. I would say you have nothing to worry about. If you want more reassurance scroll back to a couple of recent posts on people with turfing woes. Patchy yellow straw with crispy edges and plentiful weeds - now they are in trouble.
    Thank you Ben

Laid it yesterday. Here is the finished result 

Today I will be ending off the turf with some compost to minimise drying out. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Good job  :)
    i'd echo what @BenCotto says re some other threads we've had recently. Some are pretty dire, mostly due to bad prep and poor turf and aftercare.
    Enjoy your new lawn.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you for the replies and the advice. Glad i joined up.

This was my first proper effort at laying decent turf properly. No shortcuts, very rewarding experience. 
    Me again, something I failed to mention. A fair coverage of the turf was afflicted with the dreaded annual meadow grass. This is Rowlan turf by the way. Highly disappointed. 

I rang them to stress my disappointment and also put a formal complaint in regarding the quality of some of the rolls.