Forum home Problem solving

Blueberry bush suddenly died

I have had this well established pot blueberry bush for around 12 years now. It gives me fruit every year and I sit in the garden with the dog sharing blueberries regular. But this year, it has suddenly died and I don't know why. Does anyone have any ideas? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545
    Have you tipped it out and had a look at the roots?

Any vine weevils? Any rot? Any fungus?  Too wet? Too dry?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • No, it's in a very big pot. I shall do that and see if I can see anything. It just died (or appeared to have died) all of a sudden during budding. Thank you.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545
    So disheartening, isn’t it? 🙁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    I'm very sorry Sylvia, this happened to one of mine this year. One that was next to it lost half it's branches but is still alive.

I am also stumped. I am 40% suspecting weed killer is the culprit - either my own or the council but 60% not sure... It is frustrating for sure, I don't even know if I can get the variety that I lost again it was extremely rare
  • Thank you - it's interesting that I'm not the only one it has happened to. I haven't used weed killer but I did use aphid and greenfly killer on my beautiful rose a few weeks ago that is next to my blueberry bush.... hmmmm! 

Thank you both for replying. I appreciate it...
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    It happened to my two in pots the year we went on hols leaving the watering to a teenage neighbour who didn't understand the number of litres required in a Belgian heatwave.  We came home to two crispy blueberries.

Much watering later they resprouted and I dug them each a huge hole in our veg plot, filled them with ericaceous compost and planted them out that autumn.  Might be worth just soaking yours to see if it's terminal.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you for that tip - I will give it a go :)
    It may take a week or 3 of regular watering so you'll need to be patient.  If you can, put a saucer under the pot to stop it all draining away and allow it to soak up because dried compost is hard to wet again, especially fibrous MPC types of compost.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I will - I am going to a garden centre so will pick up some new compost and a big saucer for the pot. Time is of the essence I am thinking :)
    Good luck.  Hope it comes back.