Forum home Plants

Astrantias shade/no shade

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 930
I have just purchased three Astrantias (Washfield, Pink Sensation and Florence) and was under the impression they were good in shade but when I looked up Astrantia on line it said full sun. Could anyone please clarify if they grow them well in shade and are they nice? as I have never had them before but have heard them mentioned on gardening programmes. t i a   

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    I have one [one of the greeny white ones]  which is in a west facing border, and gets sun for a long time, but has some shade from other planting. It seems very happy. They need soil which doesn't get too dry, so that can often be difficult in a sunny spot. If it's too shady,they might tend to lean towards more light, so would need a bit of support to help with that. 
    Sorry , I don't think I have a photo of it, but I'll take a look. I've only had it a couple of years or so. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153
    I have a few Astrantias, Buckland which grows in morning sun and shade rest of day, Roma which is mostly in light shade, Ruby cloud in dappled shade, Hapsden Blood and Gill Richardson in full sun. I read that the darker red coloured ones are more tolerant of the sun.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 930
    Many thanks @Fairygirl and @Bright star  lovely photos.
  • Janie BJanie B Posts: 957
    I have recently bought a Roma, and it is not the colour I was expecting! It is more the colour of your Buckland (the whitish one). I thought it would be a darker red. My favourites are Hadspen Blood and Major Claret, which are lovely and dark (but they were out of stock when I wanted to buy some more...!). They are all thriving in a sunny border. 
    Lincolnshire
  • TenNTenN Posts: 184
    They're so good for division I've got them in every spot but the most vigorous in in the half shade next to the pond.