Forum home Plants

Yellowing sweet pea stems :(

Please can someone help me. I had some beautiful lush green sweet peas that were just about to flower and then, suddenly, the stems all started going yellowy white and the leaves did too. I've got some flowers but nowhere close to what i was expecting given how good and healthy the plant looked about two weeks ago. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I'm so sad about this as I was so looking forward to my sweet pea haul this year :(

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,949
    Could it be a combination of drought and powdery mildew?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I've had a look at the powdery mildew images and I don't think it's that. Not sure about drought as I thought I had watered it very well. Any other ideas please? Also thanks for responding to my post as well :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,949
    Could we see some photos please? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you, I'll post some tomorrow. Thanks again
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Check the base of the plant as well, sometimes slugs will chew around the plant without going all the way through.. but it impacts the water and nutrients making it up from the roots.  
    Utah, USA.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 432
    Mine are the same this year and I've put it down to the hotter and drier conditions than is the norm for this time of year, with the added drying winds. I'm of the thought they'll pick up soon after the cooler and wetter weather.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,895
    How are you growing them?
    Ground, pots?
    They need lots of food and water, and will become weak and spindly if they're too crowded as well. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Check the base of the plant as well, sometimes slugs will chew around the plant without going all the way through.. but it impacts the water and nutrients making it up from the roots.  
    Thanks for the tip - I checked but couldn't see any slug activity. Who knows though! I'll be sure to continue to check for them from now on. 
  • Astro said:
    Mine are the same this year and I've put it down to the hotter and drier conditions than is the norm for this time of year, with the added drying winds. I'm of the thought they'll pick up soon after the cooler and wetter weather.

Ah I'm sorry to hear that, but good to know someone else is having the same difficulties. Hopefully yours will pick up soon and you'll have bunches of gorgeous flowers.

• Fairygirl said:
    How are you growing them?
    Ground, pots?
    They need lots of food and water, and will become weak and spindly if they're too crowded as well. 
    They're growing in a large pot and I've watered them a lot, although I haven't fed them until recently... I have also put lots of plants in, so that is definitely a problem :(
    Thanks for your comment - really appreciate it.