Forum home Plants

Help for a begginer!

Helen ClayHelen Clay Posts: 46

I saw in my local mini super market some kalanchoe for sale. I want to keep it on my bedside table. I have looked into this & have found that I can keep it in a pot & it’s easy to maintain but I want to double check. I am very, VERY new to gardening & my last attempt to keep a house plant resulting in me finding out that it was a chamaecyparis (they think it was the pisifera varity?) & not a yew. I don’t have a garden available to me so pots are the only way to go. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,573
    kalanchoe  are easy to look after. Water it once a week thoroughly, then let it drain well. Do not let it stand in water.  If you repot it, use a gritty compost.
  • Helen ClayHelen Clay Posts: 46
    fidgetbones, does that mean 'give it too much wart but let the accses drain out'?
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Does your bedside table have reasonable light levels?  They go okay with medium light levels, but to get it to bloom again you need the right light.  I grew them a few years ago, and they got quite leggy where I had them.  You can cut them back a few stems at a time and they will regrow from the sides.
    Utah, USA.

Blue Onion: It’s a North facing room but with it being upstairs I suppose that helps? In the evening from spring to early autumn the sun covers a fair amount of the wall that the plant will be on. Also, would I cut them back with a tool or my fingers?

Thanks!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    You don't want/need direct light.. just bright ambient light.. if it's north facing, near to the widow is best.  But see how you get on, it is very forgiving.  Just prune after flowering with some kitchen shears.  There are plenty of internet videos on how to prune it.. you'll do fine.  If you cut off some leggy bits, pop them in some water and they will soon sent out roots of their own.  Free new plants!  There are videos for this too.
    Utah, USA.
    Blue Onion Thanks! Yeah, that seams easy enough. I'll be getting one tomorrow! One last question, an all purpus feed once a week will do the job, right?