Forum home Plants

Moving plants/shrubs

Hello! We are novice gardeners with a huge 'from scratch' gardening project on the go, and we have made a few mistakes we realise, in terms of planning for size/shape. Could anybody tell us please what the rules are for moving plants/shrubs around that won't hurt them? Is there a certain time of year that it should always be done for example, or does it depend what it is, how long its been planted etc? Many thanks!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    It depends what it is, some prefer spring or fall.. while others simply hate being moved.

What plants need moved?  How long have they been in the ground?
    Utah, USA.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    Generally - when they're dormant, which is mostly the autumn into spring.  :)
    Evergreens can be moved when conditions suit - weather, temps, soil etc.
    Bigger, established shrubs can often be pruned back, doing no harm, which makes moving them easier, and it's also easier for them to re establish. That can still be risky, depending on the shrub. 

If you're more experienced, and conditions are suitable, you can move things around when you feel like it, but if you're not experienced, it's better to wait.  :) 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,484
    Whenever you do it, always dig a bigger hole than you think you need. Much easier to fill it in than to keep moving the shrub while you make it bigger !
    Are you speaking from experience @AnniD, by any chance?

I've never done that, of course..... :D

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,484
    @Fairygirl, l couldn't possibly comment 😊
    AnniD said:
    @Fairygirl, l couldn't possibly comment 😊
     :D 

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Everybody under estimates the size of plants!
    If it's been in the ground 2 years or less I would move anything, trees, shrubs,climbers and for these I would wait until autumn although I have moved things in summer with as big a root ball as you can I don't think it's much different to planting bought container plants but I do reduce the top growth and make sure they are regularly watered.
    For perennials of any age if they are small and haven't flowered yet I move them anytime  now is good as the weather is cooler and wetter. If they are flowering and tall I would again leave them until Sept/Oct or at least till flowering is over and you can cut the plant back.
  • Thank you everybody! Everything to be moved has been planted only this year so it sounds like autumn will be a good time to do a bit of a shift around. Even the largest thing to move is not very large so it sounds like it should be ok.